Saturday, January 14, 2012

DIY Kindle Fire Case { Tutorial }

This year for my birthday {I turned 29 for the first time} my husband and daughter bought me a Kindle Fire.

Unfortunately it wasn't a surprise since almost every store within an hour from our home was sold out and we had to drive all over God's creation in order to find one. I guess that's what I get for having a birthday right after Christmas, not that it was my choice.

So once I had my Kindle Fire I realized that there are not very many choices when it comes to cases. I looked in stores, on Amazon.com, on eBay, and just plain googled but didn't come up with much of anything that looked different from anything else. So instead of buying a generic case for $30 at bestbuy I decided to try making one myself.

I am moderately crafty, but still a novice with the sewing machine so trying to plan out the pattern was a nightmare. However, after a couple tries I finally figured something out. All my hard and frustrating work paid off for you because now you wont have to do all of that trial and error.



What you will need:

Cardboard
Rotary Cutter &/or Scissors
2 Complementary Fabric's {About 1/4 Yard of each}
Sewing Machine & Thread
Straight Pins
Elastic Band
Spray Glue
Crafters Glue

Cut Your Cardboard
I started by cutting cardboard. My husband installs for one of those satellite companies {don't think I'm allowed to name them} so we always have really strong cardboard boxes laying around. I used my rotary cutting tool because it was much easier than trying to take a scissor to it. I assume you can also use a box cutter if you do not have a rotary cutter.

I cut a front board, a back board, a smaller backboard, a 1" spine, a 1/2" spine, and a small flap which was about 3". I would give you my exact measurements but since you can modify this tutorial for any eReader or tablet I just suggest you measure your device and add about an inch to the height and width.


Cut Your Fabric
I used a print on the front cover, the front inside flap, and the board that the kindle will mount on.
I used a plain brown fabric for the rest of the case.

For the front cover I cut my fabric 1" larger than the cardboard vertically, but the same measurement horizontally since I want a little bit of the plain brown fabric on the front panel.

For the inside flap I cut the fabric 1" bigger than the cardboard both vertically and horizontally.

For the mounting board, I cut the fabric two inches bigger to make sure it would wrap around the board nicely.

Then I laid out both spine pieces, the back cover, and the flap and measured the length.
Then cut two brown fabric pieces. One 4" longer than the measurement, and one 5" longer than the measurement. I also added one inch to the height.
Next I ironed all the fabric and started to prepare them to be sewn.
Sew Your FabricI started with the front cover print fabric and the longer solid brown fabric.
I placed the front cover fabric on the brown fabric print side down and prepared them to be sewn by placing pins in them. I also used a fabric pencil and ruler to draw a line where I will be sewing since I am still a beginner. Then I sewed the fabric together following the line I drew.



Then I folded the print side over and pressed the iron over it to make a little crease and sewed that crease in place.



Then, I sewed the inside over to the other brown piece of fabric. I ironed the crease flat on this part but did not make an additional stitch.
I then took both pieces of fabric and placed them together print side touching. I added a piece of batting to the side that will be going on the inside and pinned the fabric together.


Next I sewed three sides of the fabric creating something like a pillowcase.

Then I cut the coroners off so that they would be rounded when I turned it right side in.

Next up! I turned the case right side in.

AssembleThen slid my first piece of cardboard in the open end.

 I slid the cardboard all the way to the end, making sure the batting ended up on the correct side, them stitched a line down the side holding that piece in place. {I thought I had a picture of the sewing but I think I may have accidentally deleted it thinking it was a duplicate of another step.}

I followed the same steps for the rest of the cardboard and at the end I turned the fabric inside and stitched a seem to close it all up.


All that is left to do now it create the board that holds your Kindle.

I started by gluing the fabric to the board. I used a little spray glue directly on the fabric then crafters glue around the back.




 After the glue dried, I added elastic to the corners. I used about 5" strips.



After they dried, I put a tun of glue on the back and pressed it in to the back of the inside part of the case.




One it dried, it was good to go!! Here is what it looks like done!



Now, what I would do differently.

  • I would add one more 1/2" piece on the end so that it has a place to rest when opened like in the last picture.
  • I would also move the batting. Instead of putting it on the inside over I would put it on the inside of the end flap.
  • I would look for some pre-cut cardboard or something hard like it. Once it had it in the case I realized a few of my cuts were crooked.
  • Last, I would add velcro, or an elastic strap to keep it closed.

Pin It




-Sponsored-


DO YOU THRIVE?
Email me today for more information!
monica@peacelovethrive.com
What is Thrive?: www.peacelovethrive.com
Follow My Progress: www.peacelovethrive.com/blog








27 comments:

  1. I have to say this is the best tutorial I've read yet! I've been looking all over for a way to make a cover for my e-reader tablet (I have a Viewsonic ViewPad), but all the ones I've found involve slicing up old books or large amounts of sewing. This will work perfectly, I think! Once I've tried it, I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Let me know what you do differently and how it works for you.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this.. I have been looking for ideas on how to make my sister a Fire case and you seem to really have the best one out there that looks really great. I am trying to today!!!! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the support! Let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  3. So smart! I should make one for my Kindle!

    If you're interested, we're hosting our first ever link up party. Please stop by and link up! http://www.waywardgirlscrafts.com/2012/01/wayward-weekend-week-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this!! I've got to take my sewing machine out of the box and do this! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So awesome!!! Great tutotial too. Found you through Craft-O-Maniac's linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really think this is just so great so I featured you tonight on this week's Motivated Monday at BeColorful
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is AWESOME! I have an iPad and would really love a prettier case, but they seem SO expensive! You made a great tutorial and I think I can make one too now! I am totally pinning this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great project, good instructions. I've been making a different style cover but this is really a cool design, have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just fabulous! What a wonderful project and beautiful outcome. These cases ARE expensive so very cool DIY project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you have the measurements? I just ordered my Fire and I really want to make this to have ready for when it gets here. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea! I was looking at custom cases and they are so expensive and not exactly what I wanted... This is a great tutorial. I am thinking of taking a hard cover book and using the covers for the insides so that way they are even (I can't cut a straight line to save my life LOL) Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great idea!! If you do it send me pictures and I'll feature you. :)

      Delete
  12. You really did a great job! LOVE the colors you picked. Now your Kindle will be taken well care of for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a Lenovo Ideapad A1 and I modified your instructions a little bit to make a case for it. Instead of cardboard, I used corrugated plastic (cut it with an x-acto knife), and instead of linen I used black embossed felt for the outside and purple felt for the lining. It came out great and looks a lot nicer than the cases the office stores are charging $40 for. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read somewhere that plastic will make your tablet overheat. Be sure to watch it close!

      Delete
  14. I am working on this now. I do have a question, in the top photo where you are pinning the brown and printed fabrics together, is the brown fabric right side up or down? I put interfacing on all of my material to give it more shape, so i need to know this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right side down. :) Let me know how it turns out!! Send a picture and I will post it.

      Delete
    2. I wish I could post the picture of my completed cover...it turned out beautiful. Thank you so much for the pattern. Btw the fusible interfacing gave a nice firmness to the cover.

      Delete
  15. Is there a you tube video for this tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Did you by chance figure out how to make it stand vertically yet? If so that would be awesome if not I guess to the drawing board it is. I will say this is the best one that I have found thus far. I will have a fun filled day today getting this into the works. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will be trying this tomorrow. My daughter is wanting a case kind of like this. I will make 2 full flaps. For some readon she thinks she needs to carry pen and paper with her iPad. I will let you know how it turns out. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I really enjoy reading your feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...