Sunday, January 8, 2012

Glass Lamp Revamp

One thing you will learn about me via this blog is I love lamps. (Did that sound like Steve Carell, or what?) Almost any old ugly lamp could be beautiful again with a can of spray paint. I have an extra special love for glass lamps. They just say "vintage" to me and I love vintage! (No, I do not love the vintage paneling on my walls but this house is a work in progress.)







I found this gem of a lamp at the goodwill for $7.
My first thought was, "how could anybody give up this beauty?"
Then I remembered not everybody can see past the tarnished brass an dusty glass.
You know what they say, "One mans trash it another mans treasure."

I started by taking the lamp apart. I knew right away that I would need to replace the electrical components because the power cord was too short and the light socket was loose.

One thing I must suggest when taking apart a lamp (or anything you will be putting back together) is to take pictures of how it was assembled so you know how the pieces go back together.

Top of Lamp Assembly

Lamp Base

Once I took the lamp apart, I lightly sanded down rust spots and washed all of the pieces. 
When the pieces were dried I took them all outside and gave them two coats of
Rust-oleum Heirloom White then two coats of Rust-oleum Clear Gloss. I let each coat cure for an hour before the next coat. Adding clear gloss over your paint will give your lamp a shiny finish. 


One more tip!To make sure you have good, even coverage on the bottom of the lamp base put something under it so that it "floats" about the table surface. I used an old candle container.

After the paint has cured for two days I reassembled the lamp using a new lamp kit I bought at Wal-Mart for $6. Then recovered an old lamp shade with some fabric I bought at Hancock's New Years Day 1/2 off Sale.

Here if the finished product!




______________________________________________________

-Sponsored-


DO YOU THRIVE?
Email me today for more information!
monica@peacelovethrive.com
What is Thrive?: www.peacelovethrive.com
Follow My Progress: www.peacelovethrive.com/blog








1 comment:

  1. I'm a new follower from the Super Stalker Sunday. I hope you will follow me back at http://www.weidknecht.com!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I really enjoy reading your feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...